I turned 25 yesterday and in the midst of my quarter life crisis I realised I had learnt a lot of life lessons in the past 25 years so I decided to them write down…
- Do not exist to impress the world. Live life YOUR way! I always thought that by 25 I would be a high flying career woman, in a long term relationship/engaged and in my own home. In reality I am (still) a uni student, I am not engaged or in a long term relationship for that matter and I am no where near being in my own home. The honest truth is that this used to FREAK me out, but a few weeks ago I was like ‘oh well Im happy so who cares’ and I think that was one of the most important realisations. I mean if you’re happy, why care what others think… Live you life for you not the rest of the world!
- Your family will ALWAYS have your back. It is no secret that my family are a massive part of my life and I love them dearly. I know that no matter what they are on my side and will always have my best interests at heart. Another thing to remember is that family is not always blood, sometimes people choose their family too and even then I can say without a doubt that they WILL have your back
- Always wear comfy shoes to clubs. You don’t want to be that girl walking down the street at midnight carrying her shoes.
- Intuition is a built in bullshit detector so LISTEN TO IT! I have been burnt one too many times for not listening to that little voice inside my head. If something feels wrong, it usually is and no matter what anyone says don’t push that voice down because weeks months or even years later you’ll realise that it was right. I can honestly tell you I have done this three times in my life, all have been in relationships and all the relationships have ended irreparably with huge physical and mental pain. I was hurt, my heart was shattered and my trust was broken. I am honestly still trying to fix myself after this. So please just listen to your head. Also sorry for swearing Mum and Dad.
- Travel. Travel as much as you can. I’m talking about road trips with friends, Europe trips exploring the rich history and the amazing sights, go to a far away beach and enjoy a cocktail. Roam around your city. Explore and take in your surroundings.
- You will never be able to make everyone happy. This was SUCH a big lesson for me. Honestly I am the biggest people pleaser, but I learnt to do more for me instead of doing everything for everyone else. Which brings me to my next point…
- Self care. Seriously it is SO important to look after yourself and your health. Self care is different for everyone and no one can tell you how to do it.
- You can never have too much knowledge. Always learn, a thirst for knowledge is so important! There is so much to learn about the wonderful world we live in so explore it
- Skincare first, makeup second. Look after your skin, you only get one! Makeup is great to cover up imperfections, but a good skincare routine can help you cut down on the amount of makeup you use! PS – you are NEVER too young to start using antiaging products! I started at 20 and I have never looked back.
- Always wear sunscreen! Your future self will thank you for the perfect skin this creates.
- Believe in yourself and remember you are magic. Never let anyone make you feel like you are anything less than that!
- Let go of the idea of perfection. Perfection doesn’t exist, it is an illusion so please don’t worry about trying to be perfect, just be yourself.
- Hard work ALWAYS pays off. The harder you work, the more you get back.
- Help and give back as much as you can. It is the purest form of joy.
- Read. Read all kinds of books. Reading takes you to some of the most beautiful places. It is such a wonderful way to relax and enjoy some time out.
- It’s ok to not be ok. It’s ok to cry, its ok to be upset. It doesn’t make you ‘weak’ it makes you human. And sometimes you’ll feel better after just letting it out.
- Look after yourself. Take a nap if you’re tired, eat if you’re hungry, relax if you’re stressed.
- Don’t hold grudges. Everyone makes mistakes, people may do or say things to hurt you, but don’t hold onto their words. Life is too short.
- Laugh. Happiness is contagious.
- There is always more than one way to do something! If what you have been doing doesn’t work, think of four other ways you could approach the situation. Then try them all and see if they work.
- Dry shampoo is a gift from god. Don’t want to wash you hair? No worries, spray it with dry shampoo, sleep and then boom wake up with clean, volumised locks.
- Be extra af. People often tell me I’m extra, over the top or weird. I used to think it was a bad thing and try tone it down, but now I’m like ‘YEP THAT’S MEEE’.
- You don’t owe anyone an explanation. If someone doesn’t understand the reason behind your actions you don’t have to justify them. It is your business and yours alone.
- Change is good. It’s not always easy especially if, like me, you hate change! However it is usually very worth it.
- And last, but not least (most importantly actually) – people will come into your life for one of two reasons. They are either a blessing or a lesson. It takes a lot of lessons to find the blessings, but it is always worth it.
Don’t forget the best is yet to come! Here is to another year of being extra, drinking prosecco out the bottle and just loving life.